These cupcakes are certainly a summer essential. The deliciously decadent chocolate cupcake with the crisp apple butter cream, is a delightful combination on the taste buds. Here is how you make these divine cupcakes…
- 140g Plain Flour
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 200g Butter (at room temperature)
- 60g Cocoa (I like to use over 70% cocoa solids)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Organic Free Range Eggs
- 500g Icing Sugar
- 250g Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Smooth Apple Sauce
- 3 tsp Milk
- Set the oven to 180C and line a cupcake baking tray with paper cupcake liners.
- In a clean, dry bowl add your butter and beat continuously for 5 minutes, until the colour changes from a yellow colour to a pale cream colour.
- Once this colour change occurs, add your caster sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Now, add your eggs one at a time, ensuring that each egg has been well incorporated before the next addition of egg.
- You may find that the mixture has begun to split, however not to worry it will all come together in the end.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder and stir with a spoon.
- Add your dry flour mixture, to your wet egg mixture 1/3 at a time, ensuring that it has been completely mixed in, before the next 1/3.
- Once all of your ingredients have been added together, spoon your batter into the paper cupcake holders, until they are 2/3 full. This will allow the cupcakes to rise in the oven without any overspill.
- Place your cupcake batter into the oven and leave to bake for 20 minutes, until they spring back to the touch or you can insert a skewer into the centre of each cupcake and remove it clean.
- Once your cupcakes are ready, remove them from the oven and leave to cool in their baking tray for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the cupcakes from the baking tray and leave to stand on a wire cooling rack until they are completely cold.
- Now is the perfect time to whip up your apple butter cream.
- In a clean, dry bowl add your butter and beat continuously until the colour changes from a yellow colour to a pale cream colour.
- Once the colour change occurs, add in your icing sugar a tablespoon at a time, so not add the icing sugar too quickly as it will end up all over the kitchen, other than in the butter cream icing.
- After all of the icing sugar has been added, your mixture will be quite thick and hard to stir, now add in the apple sauce and vanilla extract and beat again.
- If your mixture is still too thick, then add in your milk one tsp at a time until the butter cream reaches the correct consistency.
- If you would like to colour your butter cream, then now would be the perfect time to add in your gel food colouring. I like to use garden green which choosing a apple butter cream.
- Pipe your butter cream onto your cupcakes and decorate as you wish.
There you have it, my delicious chocolate cupcakes with a tasty apple butter cream. Perfect to enjoy out in the sun with a cuppa.
If you have enjoyed this recipe, then please don’t forget to share!!