So, red velvet cake has been around for quite a while, however this recipe will spice up any red velvet cake that you’ve tried before. The mixture of the red velvet flavour with the strawberries adds a summery feel to the cake, which is divine for summer parties and something light after a meal.
Here is my delicious Strawberry Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing…
- 140g Plain Flour
- 200g Unsalted Butter (at room temp)
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 60g Cocoa Powder
- 4 Free Range Organic Eggs
- 20ml Red Food Colouring (I like to use food colouring gel as it gives the cakes a much cleaner colour)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 100ml Buttermilk
- 4 tbsp Strawberry Puree
Ingredients for Icing
- 500g Icing Sugar
- 100g Unsalted Butter (at room temp)
- 150g Cream Cheese (straight from the fridge)
- 1tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Method for the cupcake
- Set the oven to 180°C and line a cupcake baking tray with paper cupcake liners.
- In a clean, dry bowl add the butter and beat continuously until the colour changes.
- Once the colour changes from yellow to cream, add in the caster sugar and beat again.
- Add in the eggs and mix well until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, add in the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and stir with a spoon.
- Now, add the dry flour mix to the wet egg mixture until combined.
- Add in the buttermilk, vanilla extract, white wine vinegar and strawberry puree, whizz up with an electric mixer and add in the food colouring.
- Now your batter is ready, so spoon it into the paper cupcakes liners. Make sure you fill them 2/3 full, this will allow enough room for the cupcakes to rise without any over spill whilst baking.
- Place the cupcakes in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until they spring back to the touch.
- Once your cupcakes are ready, remove them from the oven and leave to stand in the baking tray for 5 minutes.
- Once this 5mins is up, remove the cupcakes and leave to stand until the cakes are completely cold.
- Whilst your cupcakes are cooling, this will provide the perfect time for you to make the cream cheese icing.
Method Cream Cheese Icing
- In a clean, dry bowl add the butter and beat continuously until the colour changes form yellow to cream.
- Once the colour change occurs, add in the cream cheese and beat again.
- Using a tablespoon, add in the icing sugar one spoon at a time, stirring in between each addition. DO NOT add it all in at once, as the icing sugar will end up everywhere other than in your icing.
- Now your cream cheese icing is ready so pipe it onto your cupcakes and serve.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe! Don’t forget to share!
Lots of love,