(Chocolate cupcakes with Rose butter cream)
Whenever I am given a box of chocolates, I always seem to gravitate to the Turkish delight flavoured chocolate. They are certainly my favourite and I often have to fight for it as they are my husband’s favourite as well. When I created these Turkish delight flavour cupcakes, they went before I had even finished decorating the last cupcake. Try these out with guests at a dinner party or even just a treat for yourself and your family (if you let them have one).
For the Cakes;
- 200g Butter (at room temperature)
- 140g Plain Flour
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 60g Cocoa Powder (I like to use over 70% cocoa solids)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Organic Free Range Eggs
For the Butter Cream;
- 500g Icing Sugar
- 250g Un-salted Butter (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp Pure Rose Extract
- Handful of Rose petals (clean)
- 3 tbsp Warm Water
- Set your oven to 180C and line a cupcake baking tray with paper cupcake liners.
- In a clean, dry bowl add your butter and beat continuously until the butter turns from a yellow colour to a pale cream colour.
- Once this colour change occurs, add in your sugar and beat again until all the sugar has been taken up by the butter and the constancy becomes light and fluffy.
- Add in your eggs one at a time, ensuring that each egg has been taken up by the butter before the next addition of egg.
- In a separate bowl add your flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder and stir with a spoon.
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet egg mixture 1/3 at a time, ensuring that all the flour mixture has been taken up by the wet egg mixture before the next 1/3
- Once all of the ingredients have been added together, spoon your cupcake batter into the paper cupcake liners until they are 2/3 full. This will leave enough space for the cupcakes to rise in the oven without any overspill.
- Once your cupcakes are ready, they should spring back to the touch or you will be able to insert a skewer into the centre of each cupcake and remove it clean.
- When your cupcakes are ready, remove them from the oven and leave to cool in the baking tin for 5 minutes.
- When those 5 minutes are up, remove the cupcakes from the baking tin and leave to cool on a wire cooling rack until completely cold.
- Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, now is the time to whip up the butter cream icing.
- Place your rose petals in a small dish and add your 3 tbsp of warm water and leave to soak until the water has gone cold.
- In a clean, dry bowl add your butter and beat for 5 minutes until the butter has turned from a yellow colour to a pale cream colour.
- Once this colour change occurs, add in your icing sugar a tablespoon at a time and mix between each addition of icing sugar. DO NOT use an electric mixer as your icing sugar will end up all over you surfaces and you instead of in your butter cream icing.
- Once all of your icing sugar has been mixed in, add in your pure rose extract and mix again.
- Go over to your soaking rose petals and discard the rose petals and pour your cold rose water into your butter cream and beat again.
- Pipe your rose butter cream onto your delicious chocolate cupcakes and serve.
That’s how you make my delicious ‘Turkish Delight Cupcakes’.